THE STORY OF ONE FAMILY'S JOURNEY WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES AND CELIAC DISEASE.
Life For A Child Button 2

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Action Week: GF Labels

How does the FDA define "Gluten Free"?

I don't know.

That's why I'm asking you!

OH WAIT!

THEY DON'T!  No one governs the term "gluten free" in the United States.  You can slap a GF label on pretty much anything (but you won't, if you're reputable).

In 2007, the gluten-free labeling situation was SUPPOSED to be resolved.

In 2011, there still isn't a standard.

I have a child with Type 1 Diabetes who relies on medical technology...therefore I KNOW all about FDA delays and whatnot.  But FOUR (almost FIVE) years?

REALLY?!?!?!?

Gluten-Free advocates from across the country have grabbed their attention.  The world's largest gltuen-free cake may have helped with that, by the way.

It's time to put a law in place.

The FDA is accepting comments from the public regarding what a gluten-free labeling law should look like.

Click HERE to add your 2 cents, and let's make this happen!!!!
1in133.org - Support Gluten-Free Food Labeling








Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. That's ridiculous!!! The FDA will certainly hear from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. News like this is so disappointing. I mean, we have so much info on stupid things....know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! I knew that when I bought anything for friends who have celiac disease that I had to look at the ingredients and not trust the "Gluten Free" label...but I had no idea that was because the phrase wasn't governed by the FDA. Really, I had no clue. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Candy Comment Love!

P.S. (Moderation has been enabled due to mega-spamming sugar cubes.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Life For A Child Button 2

While I'm happy to share our experiences with what works, and what doesn't work, for the management of Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease in our house, please do not mistake anything you read here for medical advice. Decisions regarding your/your child's health care should be made only with the assistance of your medical care team. Use any information from this blog at your own risk.