THE STORY OF ONE FAMILY'S JOURNEY WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES AND CELIAC DISEASE.
Life For A Child Button 2

Monday, June 13, 2011

Party Crasher

"Is it time to go yet?"

She was so excited.

A friend's birthday party.  Birthday parties are THE most favored social event around here...and THIS one was a SLUMBER PARTY!!!!!

I whipped up some gluten free cupcakes, because my freezer supply was empty.  Then we needed a to throw together a gluten free pizza for dinner.  We also needed to make sure she had plenty of fast acting sugars packed in her supply bag.  OH!  And not to forget the other essentials ... party present, sleeping bag, pajamas, favorite stuffed-animal-of-the-day ...

As we walked up the driveway, I have to admit that I felt a slight twinge of envy watching the other parents.  They were all dressed up with obvious plans for date nights.  A kiss goodnight, a wave goodbye, and they were out the door with a spring in their step. Never looking back.

And then there was me.

Toting everything and the kitchen sink...trying not to let the cupcake frosting smear on anything, and hoping the pizza wasn't too toppled under the tinfoil.

First up was a scavenger hunt.  The kids were divided into 2 teams (ehum, my team won, in case you were wondering)...and they ran around the neighborhood with a map...pushing blocks of ice with a broom, jumping ropes, and racing tyke bikes in the cul de sac.

I tested before we took off.  400's.  This, of course, following a 47 earlier in the afternoon.

Sigh.

Correction, water, and off we went.

After claiming our team's victory, I saw my girl slump.  I could see it in her posture, her facial expression, the eye flutter that I've come to recognize.  Something was happening...and it was happening fast.  I jumped over kids, maneuvered around pizza boxes, and reached for her bag in one fell swoop.

  
She started moaning, and I pulled out the red box just in case.  I stuffed a juice straw in her mouth, unwrapped a couple Starbursts, and tossed her a couple Mike And Ikes while I was at it.  My heart was racing.  My palms were sweaty, and I felt like I had tunnel vision...completely unaware of anything else happening around us.

She looked at me.

"I need to eat.  Now."

I grabbed her pizza and made room for her to sit at the counter.

The other kids were outside -- playing on the swingset and bouncing on a trampoline.  Their parents off to enjoy a date night.

But my girl was inside scarfing down 2 slices of pizza as if her life depended on it.

Because it did.

While trying not to lose my cookies all over the kitchen, I was doing everything I could to appear calm and collected.  I could feel the sting of panic and tears welling up in my eyes, and had to fight them back.

This was a party, for pete's sake!

I swallowed hard and stood beside her watching her like a hawk.  She could choke on that pizza.  She could pass out and fall off the kitchen stool.  She could just fall over and have a seizure.

She could.  She could.  She could.

But she didn't.

She was okay.

I was okay.

We caught it.  Stopped it.  And moved on.

Back to the trampoline...cake, presents, and more fun to follow.

And then PJ's.

I couldn't leave.

Our wonderful hostess offered me an upstairs bedroom, but it was too far away.  We were about 6 hours after that horrible low, and her numbers were stuck in the 300's.  The girls were downstairs, camped on the living room floor.  I knew I'd be checking frequently so I hung out on the couch during the movie...one by one they drifted off to sleep, and I just stayed there for the night.

Yeah.  Her mom crashed the sleepover.

In the process, however, I saw the smiles.  I heard the laughter.  Giggling during the movie, OOO-ing and AHH-ing over the presents, and comparing pajamas.  Pretend makeovers. Dancing.  Board games.  I chuckled at how grown up she has become.  It was fun to stay in the background watching her interact with the other kids.  I was there to see the glow on her face when she woke up, excited to find herself still  surrounded by her friends.

After breakfast, we packed up and went on our way while the other parents were arriving to pick up their kids.

And I couldn't help thinking about all the great stuff they missed.

Follow Me on Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. I loved that you stayed and that she "let" you stay :)
    I'm still a few years away from the whole slumber party thing but I hope I'm able to handle it as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all so bittersweet. Non-D parents have freedoms and flexibility that we lack. Yet, the very disease that ties us to our kids brings us closer to them and affords us other opportunities that non-D parents miss.

    This post touches on one of the hardest aspects of D for me. As Jack gets older, and as his friends are all dropped off at parties, meetings, events, play dates, etc, it bothers me more and more that I can't just drop off Jack anywhere. I know that day will come, but in the meantime, it's hard. Sigh...

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to get her the help she needed and that she could enjoy the party. She is blessed to have such an accommodating mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleep overs just crossed my mi.d the other day. Ugh. Boys don't do them like girls do, but ugh, ugh, ugh. Bravo to you for hanging in there and letting her do the same. She'll never forget it mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one rockin' D, G-free Mama!!
    It is rough, all the extra stuff that has to be done for seemingly normal events, but the rewards that you reaped were priceless. What a blessing to see those benefits and treasure them!
    Bean has yet to to a sleep-over and to be honest the whole thing scares the crap out of me. But, I think maybe having a dual sleep over might just been in the works for this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chills...You're an awesome mommy!! And you know what? If your baby girl didn't have "D", you, like all those other parents, might have missed out, too. (There aren't many times where I can point out a positive of this condition, so when the opportunity comes, I gotta take it! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a good mom! I'm not sure that, at 13, Elizabeth would like me to tag along at a sleepover, lol. She doesn't get to do them though. We have the slumber parties at our house. I wish I could drop her off and go out. I like the perspective that you put on it though... "And I couldn't help thinking about all the great stuff they missed." So very true!

    So sorry that you had such a scare though. Those low lows leave me so emotional about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you know you are a devoted mother when you'll crash a sleepover for your kid. This is a great perspective on diabetes. Thanks for the post. Roselady

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great attitude you have about it! I would have been in a bit of a panic too. I am dreading the whole slumber party thing but you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choked up b/c I feel like you are living my life in AZ. What a wonderful time (sans that low). I am glad you were there for her and that she was glad to have you there. You are amazing Wendy...as a friend...as a mom...as a pancreas. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It always happens at the worst of times. Which begs the question, is there EVER a good time for this to happen? Life isn't made to be put on pause for a sugar boost. :(

    It isn't easy being a pancrease or a CWD, but your family is pushing through...one blood sugar at a time. You are all doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you can see the positive in it all. You got to experience something those other parents don't know they are missing.

    SO not ready for sleep overs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's fun to "Party with the Girls" sometimes! You definitely learn a lot about their friends.lol I'm learning that diabetes seems to never behave when we want it to. I felt like such a 3rd wheel at Andrew's field day event because I had to follow him around like a golf caddy would except I was equipped with glucose meter, juice box, food, water, etc......

    You did the right thing by staying over. I would have done the exact same thing in your shoes. You are an AWESOME mom and pancreas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, I never even thought of the planning a sleepover would take with D. What an AMAZING mom you are to do all that. It's wonderful that you are doing whatever it takes for her to enjoy her youth. You rock Wendy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sleepovers are HARD!! We've only done two, but they are scary!!! You were amazing. I haven't stayed with my daughter, but kept calling being the Hover Mama. It's the hardest thing in the world trusting your little girl with someone else. I said no to a casual sleepover last week since it wasn't a bday party. I'm just chicken. : /
    Congrats on making it-BOTH of you : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wendy. What to say? I so get it. We had ANOTHER scary low the other night and I felt that panic you describe. It's so hard - this tight rope we walk. Do we stay or go? Treat or not? When we have to watch our kids being on the outside, struggling, while others just go about their normal lives.... This post is like a shot thru the heart. I so get it.

    ReplyDelete

Candy Comment Love!

P.S. (Moderation has been enabled due to mega-spamming sugar cubes.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Life For A Child Button 2

While I'm happy to share our experiences with what works, and what doesn't work, for the management of Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease in our house, please do not mistake anything you read here for medical advice. Decisions regarding your/your child's health care should be made only with the assistance of your medical care team. Use any information from this blog at your own risk.